Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

When the Lights Go Out

If you knew Roger well, you knew that he believed in being prepared. For everything, but mostly for eternity. Light was important to him. Bright light. If 60 watts was good, 100 watts was better. The Congressional ban on the production of 100 watt INCANDESANT light bulbs threw him into a state of national emergency. We needed to plan for old age! He stockpiled! He was constantly changing bulbs, no light was ever out for more than 15 minutes in our house...well, unless a light went out on his shift. I never changed light bulbs. He had just done a light bulb check about two weeks ago. Last night my lamp worked. I was sitting beneath it before I went to bed last night. I even turn lights off, unlike him. This morning. Darkness. No light from my lamp! This morning I had to climb to the top of the closet and then CHANGE A LIGHT BULB. In almost 41 years of marriage...well, this was not my norm! But...I did it. I was able. It was a simple thing, but I made it through. God will get me through this if I can keep finding laughter and joy in the little things. Keep your eyes on the light today. The eternal light, the Light of the World. That matters a whole lot more than the kind of bulb you use, but in this home, we are prepared for incandescent for a long long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment