Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Friday, February 21, 2014

The Fallen

It was not easy to add Roger's name to the list of fallen firefighters, but it was very meaningful to his shift...you could just tell. It was quite something to read the names on that board. I knew so many of them...by name, even if I did not know them well personally. Each one brought back a sweet memory of the friendship they had with Roger. The son of the firefighter who worked with Roger when Kristin was born, was on C Shift. I did remember his dad! 

They started this board sometime after 9-11 after they had moved into this new station (right on the shuttle runway)...thinking they would have a dozen or so names. It started with those who had a connection to a fallen firefighter from 9-11. As KSC firefighters became ill, retired, and passed on, their names were added. Roger missed the retired part, but he was number 92. UNBELIEVABLE!  

KSC is not one of those departments where you can just pop in for a visit. You need a special clearance. I hope the firefighters at KSC always remember that we loved them for watching out for Roger and caring for him so well. 

Perhaps the lesson here is....invest in people...don't do it so you will be remembered, but you will be....and remembered fondly too. It really is not just the stuff you do, it is who you are and how you care about the people around you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment