Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Morning Quiet

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. ... God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved; God will help her when morning dawns." (Psalm 46:1-5 ESV). 

I keep waking up naturally at Roger's typical time. How very absurd, since I rarely woke up before the sun came up when he was with me. The quiet of the morning is precious right now, though I have to admit that the silence of this house is deafening. Punky Leonard Tolson has sent me random scriptures throughout my days this last week. Random, I say, yet every one was perfect, each time it popped up on my phone. This morning I was just scrolling through email. I read each one all week, but did not respond. Oh the volume. I am so blessed...and plan to write each message in a journal before I archive them. Roger would always say that if you don't know what to do, just go to The Bible. Thank you friends, for doing what I could not do in some moments...yet God was very close all week. How powerful it is to read scripture, how comforting, how encouraging. I am so blessed and plan to focus on that. It is far too easy to withdraw from life right now. Morning seems to be my toughest time, because Roger had such a morning routine. It is funny the way some of the little things that become annoying are the very things that you miss the most. Oh, If I could just hear him slam the kitchen door one more time. He never knew how to close a door softly. Today....find something that annoys you and think about what life would be like if the person providing that annoyance were missing from your life. Then give them a big ole hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment