Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Monday, March 31, 2014

A Little Chalk

Four Fives
On my knees. That's what it takes to place an image on the sidewalk, or in this case, parking lot.  

Saturday was the Uptown Altamonte Art show and the theme was art and music. While I can't say that this fire bell was music to my ears, hearing a fire bell most likely could be considered music to Roger's ears. Even though these days, it is likely a digital tone, back in the day, the actual fire bell meant that someone needed help and there was a team on the way to help them. It was an alarm for everyone to get out of the way. 

The fire bell is still symbolic in the fire service and is used as part of the honor ceremonies at the funerals of firefighters. Though they use tones today, back in the day they used a series of bell rings to  send messages. Four Fives.   A series of Four.  Five rings each.   You are supposed to answer the call on the first ring of the bell, right?  Again...what? No answer.  Again.   #4 Final Call.  
This was so hard to take. It was profound. Memorable. Chilling even. It was the first time Roger had ever failed to answer the call. I think this will forever stay in my mind and heart.

We always felt like Roger was always 'on duty' even if he was not at KSC. How many times we were headed to or from an activity when he pulled over to assist until the on duty  first responders showed up. How many times we were at events when someone needed attention - and even if they thought they were fine, Roger was there, checking them out.  He was always calm, and had a calming effect on everyone around the situation. He always stepped in to take charge until the 'official' first responders were on the scene. 

It is interesting actually that in our home, we never had a broken bone. Never needed an ambulance. Not until February 10 at least. And then, he had already answered the call...the call to come home. 
This time, it was Jesus who called. 

I am forever grateful for the way the KSC and Orlando Fire Departments honored Roger. Wow, so unexpected. Certainly something I never expected to face. It still makes me so very sad that he is not with us every single day, and yet, I am also so grateful for the time we had together and that it was filled with more laughter than tears. In so many ways, he is still with us though and I know that faith in someone so much greater than ourselves is getting us through. God has a plan far greater than ours. He has an eternal lifetime for us to enjoy. 

Roger's Lesson: I think it was about serving. He was called to serve and it was his lifelong dream, and he lived it. He served in many places on this great old planet called earth. And he served until he was called home, and I just know that he is still serving....only at the feet of Jesus.  Really though, I think it is just a continuation of what he did for the better part of his life here. 

And yes, while family and friends and grandchildren and all kinds of wonderful things make my life full and joyful here, there are also those times when I would rather just step through that portal on the sidewalk like he did and start eternity. If you don't have that security, it's time to explore how to plan for eternity. It's all in the Bible. There really and truly is only one way to have that eternal joy and peace that Roger is experiencing.  He would say....'pick up the Bible, it's the manual for living, for here and eternity!"


1 comment: