Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Laundry surprise!

Ever prepared!
It is that drizzly rain, quiet, somber kind of day. I won't call it depressing because I love rain, though today's particular kind of rain is soft and quiet, kind of like the buckets of tears we all have shed over the past few weeks.  I could call it a 'missing you' kind of rain. 

But, I have to remember that this kind of rain is far better than the torrential downpours that pull down trees and wreck our sand streets out here. This kind of rain is slow and soaking. It does not perk through the soil at such a rapid rate, but rather, lingers and sticks to the roots of things so that it can provide growth.  I'm going to let this 'missing you' rain do that for me. 

I love to do laundry, and especially on rainy days when you don't want to get outside anyway, I love the smell of the fresh, clean laundry. And I love the fact that if you sick with it and finish, the job is complete and might even stay that way for a full 24 hours.  I've done the necessary laundry the last few weeks, but today seemed like a good day to get down to business, put my closet fully in order, then purge from my overabundance of economic   textile investments to get ready for Saturday's community yard sale. Lighten the load...yea, it is springtime! 

Surprise of all surprises, I ran a load of darks sometime during the week. Never moved them to the dryer though....so I was already ahead of schedule. I remember putting Roger's fleece in with the load, not really sure I wanted to wash away his sweet fragrance, but also knowing that I was going to have to deal at some point.  When I pulled it out to fluff it before tossing it in the dryer, FLASHBACK!  Flashback to the last time I washed it when we returned from Gatlinburg. Flashback to my request that he never again leave tissues in his pocket. Flashback to him laughing at all of the lint everywhere and telling me that it was probably a good idea to check pockets.   (Who checks pockets when you don't have little boys with snakes and snails and puppy dog tails in their pockets?)   

Well, here we go again. Only this time I can't fuss.  But I did laugh. He did tell me to think about checking pockets and I did not even think about it.  So now all of my darks, which happened to inhabit the same wash cycle as his fleece/tissue garment, are now covered with new fallen....tissue. 

So, I am not really ahead after all...I am starting over.  Actually, I am laughing right now and not quite sure I am ready to pass that jacket on anyway. I was going to buy him a new one for next season...for the man who rarely wore a jacket anyway. Maybe I will find something creative to do with this tissue lint covered forest green and black fleece. Perhaps if I hang it out when the sun comes out, the little birds will pick off the little lint pieces and build themselves a nice fluffy nest!

But, I love laundry and I will keep doing it. I remember the time his keys and wallet went through the wash. Now, how in the world did I even miss that?  He woke up the next morning to find all of his wallet stuff, drying nicely across the kitchen table. He laughed. 

And I also remember the day I found a $50 bill in the dryer. AHA! The rule in this house has always been that whomever does the laundry gets to keep the spoils of war! Ha! The spoils of laundry....and I LAUGHED....and took him to lunch, on me!  And I kept the change, of course!

I think that Roger's Lesson in this is pretty simple. Check your pockets. It's good to keep something really useful in there (tissues) but you also might find a pretty wonderful surprise! 

I'm really going to miss the smelly running clothes and surprise lint explosions. Who would have ever thought that ANYONE would say that? When doing laundry this week, think about the little things that make it take longer...and say a little prayer of thanks that you have snakes and snails and puppy dog tails....and rocks, and hair bows, and coins, and all manner of other collectibles that you forgot to take out of pockets.  (well, maybe not crayons and lipstick....better keep checking pockets!) 

And maybe you'll be blessed like I was with that $50 bill. And then....celebrate with your favorite love! You'll be glad you did.


1 comment: