Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Monday, March 10, 2014

Sizzle and Brew

This morning I became aware that something about using my senses was missing. Generally, on the days that Roger was at home in the morning, I would awaken to the smell of coffee and sausage. What is it about coffee and sausage that just screams....MORNING! Of course, I do not partake in either item, never coffee, and rarely one bite of sausage, but Roger more than made up for my lack of indulgence. 

It is interesting the things that people choose to eat. He was drawn to coffee, specifically Dunkin Donuts coffee and I loved tea. I can not imagine any kind of sausage that he would not willingly eat, while I have never been a fan of mystery meat. 

He always said that he balanced it out with salad. I wonder though if you can really balance sausage out with anything! And therein was our constant struggle. 

Karin tells me not to go there. He was a happy man with a good take on a balanced life. And he lived well and loved well. Yes. He did. I just wish he could have done it for a lot longer. And no, I don't know if sausage shortened his life, but I still will not eat it. 
And I am not compelled to drink coffee either. But I surely do miss the smell of fresh PERCOLATED coffee and the sizzle of sausage in my kitchen. There's just something about it that warms the place up. 

Roger's Lesson: I bet it would be to keep my hands off of the things he loves. I bet he would tell me to balance out what might not be best for you with what is really good for you, leaning toward more of what is good than what is bad. 

I also bet that there is no sausage on that feast table in Heaven. Or if there is, the grease is out of it.
But maybe there is DD Coffee. 

Now I will go and have two glasses of water for every glass of sweet tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment