Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Lookin' Around

Just looking' around
Sunday morning and I woke up at 4 AM. What? This might be Roger's shift day, but I've lost track. For 40+ years I was more used to checking with him each week rather than committing a month to memory. He swapped shifts whenever someone else needed it, but almost always asked them to do the payback on a Sunday.

He liked his Sunday's off even though Sunday was often the easiest work day. (Less busy work day, I suppose)

Roger always arrived early for church so he could hear his favorite singers warm up. Well, he was pretty much early for everything..even for his departure, I would say. 

Now this photo was taken some years ago...we can date it by the pager that is hanging on his belt. If we can date when those things went out of vogue, then we know this photo was taken sometime in the decade thereafter. And though he could never seem to turn the thing off at any other time, day or night, he did manage to turn it off while in church. 

Roger always had a greeting or joke or crazy story for everyone. He and his buddy Red had this crazy joke, which I don't even remember. It had something to do with a dog, I think.  After some years of telling the same joke every time they met, they would just twirl their fingers in the air. That was their greeting.  And they would both chuckle. They could be clear across the parking lot and you would see both of their hands go up...and twirl.   Sometimes they would say...'just lookin' around'.....

Wish I could remember the joke, but I know that was the punch line. Red was the pastor for the Seniors and hospital for a long long time. Roger never, ever considered himself a 'senior' and would not go to the 'elder luncheons' in town (What? Turn down good food?) But he loved those who did call themselves seniors and he watched out for them too. 

I'll head off this morning, and earlier than would be my norm, but not nearly early enough for Roger....and I'll hug a few seniors along the way. Carry on the tradition.  And as long as none of them "fall out" we will be just fine. I do know how to dial 911, but boy, don't go down on my watch, OK?!

There seems to be a lot of 'falling out" (Roger's term for needing help) in our church lately.  I don't know if everyone is departing early so they can rise first for the Rapture, but I do know that a whole lot of them knew how to 'be ready.'

The lesson today - Have fun along the way. Make friends, be friends, have little fun inside jokes and greetings, but most of all 'be ready'...you never know when early just might be right on time. 

And, if you haven't found a body of believers that fits you to a tee...just keep searching. They are all over the place, ready to envelope you in the love of Christ.  If you seek...you WILL find. 










No comments:

Post a Comment