Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Monday, March 31, 2014

There was no Need to Learn

Screw on the cap thingy THEN close the door! 
I have been learning a lot of new things lately. How to change a roll of TP. How to change a light bulb. When to take the recycle to the street. Where the yard trash goes at the curb.  The layout of Publix.   These things seem simple enough but I just never had a need to know about them. 

It's amazing the number of little ordinary things that Roger did for me every day. I am almost positive that I never said thank you often enough. 

Sunday after church is when you fill up the gas tank. WHEN did it start costing $67 to fill up a gas tank? I thought the pump was broken! And these new cars have a little rubber band that holds onto the gas cap...no way to leave it on top of the car.  I did find that you have to screw it back on before you close the gas tank door though.  Remarkable, the new gadgets we have these days! 

I have been to Publix exactly twice since February 10. Overwhelming. I am just going to be creative and use what I have until the cupboards are bare. That place requires far too much decision making! Stuff tries to jump into your cart from everywhere, and I am sure the place is chemical and preservative laden. Maybe Roger went to the store almost every day so he did not have to make so many decisions. I rather doubt that though. I am pretty sure it was his 'meet the people' break. If there was yard work to be done....Publix called! 

All these little things that I now have to do for myself just make me miss him all the more. The little things that take place day after day, month after month, for almost 41 years....they seem like just the normal stuff of life. They are so much more though. They really are expressions of love.  How often we take it for granted though. That makes me sad. It makes me sad because I just know that I did not say thank you often enough.  I'm sure though, that I did things that made him happy too, things that showed my love...maybe we just knew it and did not have to say it.

Life's too short though. So say it. 
Roger's Lesson:  Oh, it is probably to show your love.  
He was not that much of a talker...well, unless it was about the Bible or politics....and seasonally, football. (Thank you to all of you friends out there who talked sports with him....because I was a lost cause on that one!) 

Sooner or later I will get it.....one by one, each light will burn out. One by one, I will tackle each job and learn how to do it. But, oh....how I don't want too. 

Show your love to someone today, and if necessary, tell them you are showing love. 

1 comment:

  1. This may be my favorite post so far. It touched my heart deeply. Thanks. I am already good at telling my man that I love him, but the reminder is important.

    ReplyDelete