Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Concrete Canvas

SLF - Some Lengthy Flatland! 
Many things are going through my mind today. 

Sadness. Such sadness with the funeral of Officer German. I know that eternity will be grand, but it is so hard to get in that mindset when someone is still so very young. Our earthly minds just keep re-playing what we know of the story, and we want a different ending. We miss him in many different ways. This community has shown itself to be strong. Good leadership here. 

Friendship. I spent the morning with a great friend. What a refreshing thing it is to just be greeted with hugs and smiles and laughter. I have really great friends and possibly have not ever realized it as much as I do these days.  Laughter beats crying any day, but when a friend accepts that tears come, and can feel it too, and then brings back the laughter...a wonderful thing. A blessing of The Comforter for sure! It would be so much fun to have her living on my block! I guess it would be a very crazy fun world if all of my friends lived on my block! Maybe we should buy a hotel and retrofit it for our own crazy condos! 

Sidewalks. It is the season for streetpainting. I love streetpainting, and that does not mean that I like to paint the yellow and white stripes down the middle. There is something just so much fun about creating a piece of artwork on the sidewalk (or parking lot) and enjoying it for a bit, seeing others enjoy it, and then NOT crying because it is being washed away before sunrise. Maybe it is the challenge of completing something without the pressure of perfection. Maybe it is the tactile experience, especially since I do not enjoy working with chalk pastels on any surface other than some version of concrete or asphalt. Maybe it is the colors I always end up selecting...my palette never seems to change much so I guess I have my happy colors.   Maybe it is the experience of just being lost in my right brain for hours on end.  Maybe it is the memories etched in my mind and in photos with no way to 'fix' what I did not like, but only to accept it for what it is. For whatever reason, it is a gift that God gave me way on back in 1994 when it first came to Orlando. I took the risk. I learned something new. I joined an art movement new to Orlando. I love it. 

Today's photo popped up on my FB account this morning. Though I never worked at KSC, I loved the behind the scenes stories that came home with Roger. (42 years worth) He really had quite the interesting career, and because he never talked much about what HE did (he told stories about others,) well...we have come to see that he actually interacted with some pretty spectacular people.  This photo might look like the grandest sidewalk that could use some chalking, but no, this is the SLF...Shuttle Landing Facility....or in normal people terms...landing strip.   Look back into the distance and to the left and find the little tiny building with a driveway.   Well, up close it is a big ole driveway and a fire station with REALLY BIG BAYS. And some really big trucks too.  The station is pretty swell also. And that is not all that is wonderful. 

We were able to visit not long ago. I was not sure that I could do it, but with family support, and the wonderful Fire Personnel, it was a lovely visit. I knew after that visit why Roger was NEVER going to retire if left to his own timetable.  When coming across this photo today, I got Roger's Lesson too.  I am pretty sure it is 'Don't Quit"  or maybe, don't just stop doing the things you love to do.  

He did not have a bunch of hobbies. His family, his people at work, his people at church and in the community were the closest thing I can say were his hobbies. He used to call TMA my hobby too.  Things you invest time and love in, I suppose, would be your hobbies.   

Chalking fits in that category for me.  It might even be a bit of an escape for me. (It is a right brained thing) And as soon as my little ole leg gets back into shape, I will be back on that sidewalk with the next work of art. I can already feel it in my bones...and muscles...
in a good way! 

And my next piece will be dedicated to Roger. My love. 


No comments:

Post a Comment