Treasure the Memories

He left us too quickly. Suddenly. As if it really was in the twinkling of an eye. One step on the sidewalk, the next one on the golden streets in Heaven. It is hard to wrap my earthly mind around this, but Roger's favorite Bible stories were about Enoch, Elijah and Elisha, so maybe this exit should not surprise me. I know God is faithful and that Roger believed that God numbered our days from beginning to end and in living every day fully and completely. He loved God. He loved people. I don't want to forget the lessons he taught me by living it. So I write.

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Oh, the Weeds

It is cold this morning. Florida. March. Cold. Something about that just does not go together. Roger always said "I predict that our last cold snap will be the week of the Central Florida Fair"  He never cared what Mr. Groundhog had to say. Interestingly, the fair is wrapping up this weekend and the last two days have become increasingly colder. 

I don't think he ever missed on that prediction.

THANK GOODNESS, I paid attention when he was building a fire in the fireplace. I managed that one nicely last night and even Karin was impressed, though she did feel that we would be far better off with a fire in the house if we also had a firefighter in the house.  I think we would be far better off, fire or no fire, with our firefighter in the house. But, I know that God is with us and that Roger did teach us a lot of great stuff while he was here. And, somehow, we are going to come out stronger. That does not mean that I like this journey so much though.

Just about one month ago, on our little calendar of things that older people do, I had inserted...weed the gardens. Roger was my critter control man, and if I got him in the yard at all, I had to time it pretty well.  I could generally get him for one hour, before or after a run, when he was already hot or ready to get hot.  I love a pretty yard, and he had a totally different philosophy on yard work than I did.   

I believe that you need to tend the gardens and tend to the weeds. He believed that if God wanted something out of the trees or off the roof or out of the flower bed, He would drop it, blow it off, or let it die....and then Roger would put it in a can and drag it to the street.  

I liked the challenge of getting something to grow and produce. He dutifully dragged stuff to the street so he could get back to his swing where the people passed by. Task oriented vs people oriented. 

Today I look out at the weedy bed that is calling my name. This was on our list for 3 weeks ago. Three weeks...now I notice that the weeds have bloomed (I think that means ever more seeds). He would notice that the flowers are blooming. 

We never developed our back porch area. Even after 35 years here, it is almost the same as it was the day we moved in. People don't pass by the back yard.  Had I realized more about him before building this house, I would have turned the whole thing around and placed the living area in the front, with a huge front porch...a party sized front porch....with fans, so I would stay outside.   I would have made the swing area a sight to behold too!   Of course, the lack of that never ever stopped him from living on the front yard swing. Weeds, or no weeds. 

I will tend to the garden bit by bit, because in Florida, you just about have to, or you get big critters. It won't be as much fun though, because I always enjoyed his company as he sat and watched for critters for me. Thank goodness I have a wonderful grandson nearby who is strong and helpful and will get the cans of stuff to the street for me. Yes, I will get to it, because I still love gardens and he would want me to have the beauty around me. But hopefully this year, I will be more observant about seeing the people around me, and getting 'off task' at least every now and then, and stop to talk. 

In reality, the weeds and dead wood in the trees will always be there for another day. But people might not be there another day. And I think that just might be Roger's Lesson for the day. 

Today I might talk to my plants. But I will really really try to look for and talk to people. 


1 comment: